The original cross, fashioned about 1100, presently hangs in Santa Chiara (Clara – Clare) Church in Assisi. In 1257 the Poor Clares left San Damiano for San Giorgio chapel and took the crucifix with them.
In Holy Week of 1957, it was placed on public view for the first time over the new altar in San Giorgio’s chapel in the Basilica of St Clare of Assisi.
They have carefully kept the Cross for 700 years, and still guard it with great solicitude.
The crucifix that now hangs over the altar of the ancient church of San Damiano, under custody of the friars, is a copy.
All Franciscans cherish this cross as the symbol of their mission from God to commit their lives and resources to renew and rebuild the Church in the power of God.